- Posted by admin in Recipes
- No Comments
If you’re thinking of cutting back on your meat consumption, reduce your grocery bill, or eat healthier? These five healthy, meat-free sandwiches are ideal for the grab and go lunch. You can take them on a picnic. They’re quick, easy and delicious.
#1 Veggie Reuben Sandwich
* Russian dressing
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, optional
* 12 slices tempeh bacon
* 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
* 8 slices rye bread
* 12 slices dill pickle
* 2 cups grated Swiss cheese (8 ounces)
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Step 1 – Preheat broiler to low.
Step 2 Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the tempeh in batches as needed, until crispy golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
Step 3 – Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Place pieces, buttered side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread some of the Russian dressing on the sides facing up. Evenly lay the pickles, tempeh, sauerkraut, and cheese.
Step 4 – Place the open faced sandwiched under the broiler and cook until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the broiler. Close sandwiches, return to the broiler and toast sandwich, turning once so both sides get nice and golden brown, about 2 minutes total. Enjoy hot out of the oven or wrap in foil and enjoy later in the day.
#2 Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Sandwich
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 Zucchini, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
* 2 Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed and discarded, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
* Baguette or thick bread, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
* 1 cup (6 1/2 ounces) goat cheese, at room temperature
* 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
Step One – Place a grill pan over medium-high heat
Step Two – Mix together the olive oil, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper.
Step Three – Place 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a medium bowl. Add the zucchini and eggplant and toss until coated.
Step Four – Place the vegetables on the grill pan or grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until tender.
Step Five ñ While vegetables are cooking, spread the olive oil mixture on the baguette halves or bread slices. Spread goat cheese over the olive oil mixture. Place the cooked vegetables on the bottom half of the baguette. Arrange the spinach on top of the vegetables. Place the top half of the baguette or bread over the filling and enjoy!
#3 Nut Butter and Banana Sandwiches
* unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/2-inch thick slices bread
* 1/4 cup sugar combined with 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
* 1 jar chocolate hazelnut spread like Nutella
* 2 ripe bananas, sliced 1/4-inch thick
* 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
Step One – Heat griddle or non-stick pan over medium heat.
Step Two ñ Spread one side of bread with butter and place on griddle, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture, and flip; cook for a few seconds so cinnamon sugar sticks.
Step Three ñ Flip bread back over and spread with nut spread. Place sliced bananas on top and combine slices to make a sandwich(s). This mixture makes 4 sandwiches. Cook until warm and gooey and enjoy!
#4 Spicy Thai Wraps
* 1/8 cup lime juice
* 2 teaspoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons chili paste, like sambal oelek
* 2 teaspoons fish sauce
* 2 cups roasted peanuts or cashews, roughly chopped
* 2/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
* 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
* 3 cups diced pineapple ñ fresh is better
* Kosher salt
Step One – Whisk the lime juice, sugar, chili paste, and fish sauce in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add the peanuts and cilantro and stir.
Step Two – Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter. Put about 1/4 cup of pineapple in each leaf and season with salt to taste. Top the pineapple with the nut mixture.
Step Three – Wrap and enjoy.
#5 Ricotta, Spinach, and Artichoke Sandwich
* 10 ounces spinach
* 1 loaf ciabatta bread,
* Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
* 2 cups ricotta cheese
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, a handful
* 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
* 1 can artichokes, drained and sliced
* Salt and pepper
* 2 cups shredded mozzarella
Step One – Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Step Two – Toast bread in oven for 5 minutes. Remove and cut in half, end to end.
Step Three – Turn broiler on.
Step Four – Drizzle hot bread with extra-virgin olive oil.
Step Five ñ Combine ricotta, garlic, parsley and grated cheese. Spread the mixture evenly over the bread halves then cover with chopped spinach. Evenly distribute the sliced artichokes, season the breads with salt and pepper and top with an even layer mozzarella cheese.
Step Six – Melt the cheese under the broiler 3 minutes, 1 rack down from the top of the oven. Cut into sandwich-sized wedges and enjoy hot, or wrap and enjoy cold later.
Keller Davis Realty Friendly Valley
19310 Avenue of The Oaks
Newhall, CA 91321